In this article, we will examine how people have found some relief from anxiety and depression through chiropractic care.
Why Chiropractic Care Should Be Considered for Anxiety and Depression
The World Health Organization (WHO) reported that in 2017, an estimated 3.6% of the world's population experienced anxiety disorders. The WHO also reported that over 264 million people worldwide were affected by depression in 2020.
- Evidence suggests that certain genetic predispositions may make some individuals more susceptible to anxiety and depression.
- Imbalances in neurotransmitters (chemical messengers in the brain) like serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine can play a role in the development of these conditions.
- Significant life events such as trauma, loss, abuse, or major life changes can trigger or exacerbate symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Persistent stress from work, relationships, financial issues, or other sources can contribute to developing these conditions.
- Growing up in an environment where there's a history of anxiety or depression in the family or where there are high levels of stress and conflict can increase the risk.
- Certain personality traits, such as perfectionism, excessive worrying, or a tendency toward negative thinking, can be associated with a higher risk of anxiety and depression.
- Distorted thought patterns, like catastrophizing (assuming the worst will happen) or all-or-nothing thinking, can contribute to these conditions.
- Differences in brain structure and function have been observed in individuals with anxiety and depression, although the exact nature of these differences is still being researched.
Certain medical conditions, such as chronic pain, hormonal imbalances, or neurological disorders, can contribute to symptoms of anxiety and depression. Additionally, some medications have side effects that can affect the mood.
Substance abuse, including alcohol, drugs, and prescription medications, can both contribute to and exacerbate symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Chiropractic Care To Help With Anxiety and Depression
Chiropractic care primarily focuses on the musculoskeletal system, particularly the spine, and its impact on overall health. While it's not a replacement for traditional mental health treatments, some people report benefits in terms of anxiety and depression from chiropractic care. Here's how it may help:
- Stress Reduction: Chiropractic adjustments can help reduce physical stress on your body. When your body is in pain or discomfort, it can contribute to increased stress levels. By aligning the spine and improving posture, chiropractic care may help reduce physical stress, which can, in turn, have a positive impact on mental well-being.
- Chiropractors believe that misalignments in the spine (subluxations) can interfere with the proper function of the nervous system. By adjusting the spine, they aim to restore proper nervous system function. Since the nervous system plays a crucial role in regulating mood and emotions, some people report feeling a sense of calm and improved mood after chiropractic adjustments.
- Chiropractic adjustments can release tension in the muscles and joints, which may contribute to feelings of anxiety or discomfort. When your body feels more relaxed physically, it can have a positive impact on your mental state.
- Some studies suggest that chiropractic adjustments may lead to the release of endorphins, which are your body's natural painkillers and mood elevators. This can lead to an improved sense of well-being.
- There is some evidence to suggest that chiropractic care can influence hormonal balance. Hormones play a significant role in regulating mood, so any positive effects on hormonal balance could potentially help with anxiety and depression.
- Many individuals with anxiety and depression also struggle with sleep disorders. Chiropractic care may help improve sleep quality by addressing issues related to pain and discomfort that can interfere with restful sleep.
- Chiropractic care can be used in conjunction with other treatments for anxiety and depression, such as therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. It can be part of a comprehensive approach to mental health.
It's important to note that while some people find relief from anxiety and depression through chiropractic care, it's not a substitute for professional mental health treatment. If you're struggling with anxiety or depression, it's crucial to seek help from a qualified mental health professional who can provide appropriate assessment and treatment options.
Always consult with your healthcare provider before starting any new treatment, including chiropractic care, especially if you have pre-existing health conditions or are taking medications. They can provide guidance on whether chiropractic care is a suitable addition to your overall wellness plan.
Monitto Chiropractic Can Help With Anxiety and Depression
We at Monitto Chiropractic aim to educate our patients about chiropractic care and other natural solutions to common mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. This helps to motivate them to take a more active and responsible role in restoring and maintaining their own health, as well as that of the people around them.
As a chiropractic practitioner, we understand that although our patients may be diagnosed with the same condition, they respond very differently to treatments. For this reason, we tailor a specific plan of action to meet your needs, goals, and unique medical and physical conditions.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.