In fact, children treated regularly at a chiropractic office have been found to be healthier. Subluxations, misalignments in the spine that lead to health issues from pain to allergies and ear infections, affect children as well. When children receive effective chiropractic care, they can benefit from having fewer ear infections, colds, and other illnesses. It does not keep them illness-free, however, they will get over illness quicker, without the use of drugs. Most children under chiropractic care miss less school as well.
In this article, we want to help answer questions about children and chiropractic adjustments.
Is It Safe for Children to Visit the Chiropractor?
Chiropractic care has an excellent safety record among adults and children alike. The practice is drug-free and non-invasive, so it provides patients the opportunity to experience healing without surgery or something addictive. A child’s chiropractic adjustment is likely to be less abrasive than it may be for adults; otherwise, the process is very similar to what parents would experience. While adjustments can result in a measure of soreness for a few hours afterward, a chiropractic visit leads to pain relief. That’s no less true for children.
If you have questions, Monitto Chiropractic sees many child patients and we are happy to help you walk through with your kids.
What Age Can Children Begin Visiting the Chiropractor?
There is no age limit for chiropractic adjustments. We see and adjust babies immediately after birth on their way home from the hospital who experienced subluxations during the process of exiting the womb. The majority of all subluxations occur between birth and 20 years of age, so it stands to reason that your children may benefit from corrected spinal alignment.
Chiropractic care has shown to help children lead healthier lives; however, do not expect it to keep your kids from being sick at all. Nevertheless, correcting subluxations can help children considerably.
What Benefits Can Children Experience from the Chiropractor?
While bodies are growing, misalignments in the spine can impact several aspects of a child’s health. Here are a few of the common improvements children will experience with regular chiropractic care:
- Ear Infections: Children with frequent ear infections may see a significant reduction in their occurrences and alleviate the need for tubes.
- Allergies, Sinus Problems, and Asthma: For many children, their allergies and asthma are caused in part by subluxations.
- Attention Problems and Hyperactivity Disorder: Spinal misalignments right below the skull, C1 and C2 vertebrae can short-circuit the medulla or brain stem causing behavioral problems.
- Bed Wetting: If your child experiences frequent bedwetting, spinal misalignment may indeed play a role.
- Reflux and Digestion: If a child’s spine is not properly aligned, it could lead to acid reflux and heartburn. A young child may not have the vocabulary to describe reflux, likely complaining about frequent stomach issues instead. While you might not think about the chiropractor as a solution for tummy troubles, it could be exactly what your little one needs.
- Pain: Children run and play and jump and fall, so it should come to us as no surprise that sometimes they have lingering pain that they might not be able to adequately explain.
If your child is experiencing allergies, ear infections, pain, and stiffness, or any health condition that could be connected to spinal alignment, the team at Monitto Chiropractic are here to answer your questions. Contact us to schedule an appointment for you or your child.